Well, folks as EDTC 300 class draws to a close it is time for my final learning project post. Those who have been reading all along have read about my journey that was re-finishing the old dresser that I had gotten from my late grandfather. Woodworking has always been an interest of mine and when I had this piece that needed re-finished I decided to take the project on and that it would be perfect for my EDTC 300 learning project. I decided that because I had no idea how to complete this project, so I was able to learn about it online.
So I started the project and jumped right into it. Please take a look at my First Post.
Now I have been through this journey I am now ready to unveil my finished product, which has been a hit with my family, they can’t say enough good things about it.
I completed staining the dresser three times, I used the technique outlined in my fifth post, check it out here. This took several hours because the stain has to dry for 8 hours per coat, so I did the three coats over two days.
Then I put the new knobs on the drawers and re-attached the mirror on the body of the dresser. To hold the mirror in its frame, I used a heavy piece of cardboard from an old fridge box we had in our house.
The most challenging thing about finishing the project was re-attaching the mirror to the main dresser frame. Before there were three screws that held the mirror stand on the base. It was clear after my Dad and I tried to put the mirror on that three screws would not hold it, so we put five screws in. The stand makes the dresser pretty top heavy so that is why it’s leaning against the wall, to give it some added stability.
For future projects, I need to take more time to make sure all the paint is off and nothing is visible that I don’t want visible. I learned that this type of work is very tedious and requires a lot of attention to detail. I will try to develop these traits more in the future and I hope to do more projects like this. (there is a bookshelf I may tackle next).
Overall, I gained valuable experience in the woodworking trade with this assignment. I know now how to better re-use old furniture and make it look like new again. Antiques have always caught my eye and I find this way to breath new life into old furniture is a good ability to have.
Traits that I have developed and understand a better need for is attention to detail and the ability to take more time and slow down. I need to work on these more. however having these skills can be very helpful in more than just a hobby, I feel they could become useful in a classroom setting.
Learning online is very useful but not something to be relied on. Offline resources can be very useful too. I found YouTube to be the most useful to learn about re-finishing furniture. I also found Ron Hazelton’s website to be very useful because he knew a lot about many topics and was able to make a lot of sense and helped me a great deal.
As with most technology use, there are disadvantages, like needed access to the internet to use the online world to its fullest potential. the videos on Youtube helped me to see what should happen and what it should look like after I’m done.
The Learning project portion of the course was very helpful and useful and I will use both my new found knowledge of wood re-finishing and the experience of learning online for many years to come in both my personal and professional life.
Here is a list and links to all my posts:
Post 6: Final post and review. (This post).
As always, leave a comment if you want to share your experiences with woodworking or learning online, or just have something to say.
Big Thanks to all those who read this blog and who have left comments in the past.